DIY Laundry Soap


This easy to make laundry soap recipe has only 3 ingredients and costs pennies per load.

One batch of this laundry soap will last for months, it takes only 5 minutes to make and it costs just pennies per load. It even works well in cold water. 

Here's the recipe from The Burlap Bag:

Ingredients:

1 cup of Borax
1 cup of Washing Soda (not baking soda!)
1 bar of soap*

Instructions:

1. Grate the bar of soap into a bowl.

2. Add the Borax.

3. Add the Washing Soda.

4. Mix well.

5. Store in a mason jar or other lidded container with a spoon. 

You only need 1-2 tablespoons per load of laundry.


*A note on types of bar soap:

I first tried this using fancy handmade soap. I figured if I'm going to the trouble of making my own soap, I might as well reduce the amount of toxins going into it. But to be honest, 'gourmet' soap turned out to be really hard to grate. 

The Soap Works makes some nice quality bar soaps that cost less than $2 per bar, so won't break the bank, and their soaps are made without some of the harmful chemicals found in regular soaps. These are a staple in my house and grate up quite well.   

If you're in a rush, or you really want to pinch your pennies, I'd reach for the Irish Spring, Ivory or any generic bar soap. I found it grates up into a fine powder quickly and easily.